Excited about your new braces treatment but not too keen on rubber bands? While you may be concerned about incorporating them into your daily life, rubber bands can be a huge help when it comes to keeping your teeth in place. At Sohn Orthodontics, we know that elastics can be foreign territory for our patients, which is why we want to discuss some of the top benefits of using them. We’ll also provide some tips on how to use them correctly. Keep reading to find out more!
What do rubber bands do?
Rubber bands help keep your teeth in the proper position during treatment. Dr. Sohn often prescribes rubber bands for patients with mild bite issues or anyone who needs extra assistance getting their teeth into the right place. The rubber bands are applied to your braces, connecting the upper and lower jaws and using gentle force to reposition them. This will make your treatment more successful in the long run, as your teeth won’t shift back and forth before settling into their new positions.
Different types of rubber bands
At Sohn Orthodontics, we offer our patients a variety of rubber bands to help accelerate their braces treatment:
- O-ties: The most common type is the tiny rubber bands, also known as o-ties, which are used to fasten the archwire to the brackets, applying just the right amount of pressure to shift your teeth into place.
- Power chains: Dr. Sohn also prescribes power chains, which are larger rubber bands that connect multiple brackets to close spaces between your teeth quickly and efficiently.
- Elastics: Elastics are the thickest rubber bands used when more force is needed to move your teeth. These typically connect to tiny hooks on your upper and lower brackets, helping gently correct mild bite issues.
Benefits of rubber bands
Rubber bands are a great way to help you get the best results from your braces treatment. They can also reduce discomfort caused by traditional braces, as they apply a more gentle and even force to your teeth. Additionally, using rubber bands can help cut down on the overall time you wear braces since they will move your teeth into proper alignment faster.
Tips for using rubber bands
Using rubber bands can seem daunting at first, but Sohn Orthodontics has some tips to make sure you get the most out of your treatment:
- It is vital to wear the rubber bands precisely as instructed by Dr. Sohn so they can do their job correctly. This usually means wearing them for about 22 or more hours a day, only taking them out to eat or brush your teeth.
- Change the rubber bands frequently, as neglected rubber bands can cause your teeth to shift improperly. This means replacing them with a new pair after each meal, brushing session, or on any other occasion when you need to remove them.
- Wear them even when your mouth feels a bit sore. Your jaw may take a while to get used to the new sensation and added pressure of your elastics—don’t worry. This is only temporary and should subside within a week or so.
- Make sure to store your rubber bands in a clean, dry place and away from extreme temperatures. If you notice that your supply is running low, contact our office to make sure you have enough to continue with your elastics routine.
Smile like a champion with Sohn Orthodontics
Rubber bands can initially seem intimidating, but with Dr. Sohn by your side, you’ll get the most out of your treatment and achieve the perfect smile in no time! Contact Sohn Orthodontics today to learn more about how rubber bands can help you toward a beautiful, confident smile.