Metal braces have been a trusted orthodontic treatment for decades! They use metal brackets, wires, and colorful ligatures to straighten teeth by applying pressure.
At Sohn Orthodontics, we always encourage our patients to feel confident in themselves before, during, and after treatment. At the same time, we understand that some patients, especially younger ones, prefer a more subtle look than traditional metal braces. We are proud to provide that option for teens through Invisalign!
Invisalign creates clear aligners that straighten the teeth, often in less time than braces! They are perfect for patients who don’t want people to know they’re undergoing treatment. Recently, they have come out with their Invisalign for Teens program to provide the same excellent treatment to younger patients.
There are many other reasons you or your teen might want to use clear aligners instead of braces, but let’s look at some common reasons!
Aligners are custom-made!
Invisalign aligners are so comfortable because they’re made specifically for each individual’s unique mouth and goals!
To get started, our skilled team members will take detailed and comprehensive X-rays and photos of your teen’s teeth, gums, and face. We’ll use these images to create a 3D model of your child’s mouth! Then, Dr. Sohn will use this model to accurately and efficiently plan your teen’s treatment. We can even show your teen the predicted final look! Knowing what they’re working toward is a great motivator to wear those trays.
This state-of-the-art technology allows Dr. Sohn an increased chance of finding potential complications at the beginning, giving your teen a comfortable and quick treatment experience.
Once Dr. Sohn is satisfied with the treatment plan, your teen’s trays will be made! Each tray will be worn for one to two weeks before moving to the next. Because your teen will be given their first series of trays at once, they can switch to the next tray at home in seconds! Perfect for busy families!
Yep, you read right! Your teen is able to make the switch to the next tray because the aligners are removable! While it is important that your teen wear their aligners for about twenty-two hours a day, removing them can have quite a few benefits! Here are just three reasons your teen might want removable aligners:
- No food restrictions! Clear aligners must be removed to eat or drink anything other than water, so your teen can stick to their regular diet! That means they can eat popcorn at the movies and have sticky candy on Halloween!
- No new oral hygiene! When cleaning their teeth and gums, your teen’s routine will stay the same. They just remove the aligners to floss and brush like normal.
- Special occasions! Whether it’s for prom night, class picture day, or the big game, your teen can remove the aligners if necessary! While we believe every moment is precious, we must stress the importance of only removing the aligners for those extra special times.
Aligners are Low Maintenance!
Your teen will not need special cleaning tools to use after meals or spend a long time in front of the mirror. Cleaning the aligners is super easy; it only takes a few minutes!
After removing the aligners, your teen only needs to lightly brush them with unscented antibacterial soap and rinse them with lukewarm water. They should use a separate toothbrush from the one used to brush their teeth. And that’s it!
Bonus Cleaning Tips:
- Don’t use toothpaste on the aligners. The paste is usually too harsh and can scratch the surface of the plastic, making them uncomfortable and more visible when worn.
- When your teen is not wearing the trays, they should be in their protective case to safeguard them from germs and physical damage.
- After eating, your teen should rinse their mouth with water to remove residue that could stain their aligners. We want to preserve their invisible appearance!
- Be careful not to use too hot or cold water because it can warp the aligners.
- Be sure to ask Dr. Sohn before using any product on your aligners!
Keeping the trays clean is vital to the success of your teen’s treatment. Unclean trays can get a build up of plaque and bacteria that can cause infection or gum disease. They can also begin to have a bad smell or foul taste, which is not inviting when your teen goes to put them on, potentially slowing down treatment.
The Invisalign for Teens Difference.
Designed with teenagers and their families in mind, here are just three features of the Invisalign for Teens program that make a huge difference in the effectiveness and convenience of treatment.
- The Compliance Dot — Invisalign for Teens trays come with a small blue dot on the back of the tray. The dot’s color interacts with saliva to change to either white or clear over time. The more your teen wears their trays, the quicker the color changes! With this, you can make sure they are wearing their aligners as prescribed.
- Replacement Trays — Are you worried your teen will lose or damage their aligner? No worries! Invisalign for Teens allows for a limited number of replacement trays! The most inconvenient part of needing a replacement is waiting for it. Dr. Sohn can make adjustments to the treatment plan if necessary.
- Eruption Tabs — Are you and your teen ready to start orthodontic treatment but waiting for all their adult teeth to grow? There’s no need! Invisalign for Teens now offers the option of eruption tabs, which are tabs on the aligner that allow for teeth to erupt and grow without disrupting or preventing treatment!
Start Your Teen’s Treatment with Sohn Orthodontics Today!
Dr. Sohn will happily answer any questions you have and is excited to offer you and your family quality, convenient care.